A How To
Why make a powdered mushroom extract?
This preparation makes it possible to get all the benefits of a mushroom dual extract, and doesn’t involve any alcohol. The initial boiling of the mushroom material breaks down the tough chitin cell wall and extracts the polysaccharides. The water is boiled down until there is a thick mushroom slurry. This slurry contains the polysaccharides, high molecular weight terpenes (still in the mushroom material itself), minerals, and sterols (still in the mushroom material). Since the water is extracting only limited amounts of the triterpene glycosides* and negligible amounts of other hydrophobic compounds, it is essential we consume the entirety of this slurry. Water can extract the polysaccharides and minerals, while the human body is an excellent solvent, and can take care of the rest. After dehydrating this slurry and following up with a grind, there is a powdery extract that is easy to add to oatmeal, coffee, soup, honey, tea, and anything else you desire mushroom extract in. This powdered extract can also be encapsulated.
*Triterpenes are common secondary metabolite compounds in medicinal mushrooms. Research shows that these compounds have cytotoxic effects on many cancer cell lines, they are anti-inflammatory, hepato-protective, anti-allergic, and anti-viral.1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Things to acquire:
- A mushroom fruiting body; Turkey Tail, Artist Conk, Reishi, Red Belted Polypore, Willow Bracket, Lion’s Mane, etc.
- Sharp knife for chopping
- A pot to boil in
- High speed blender
- Dehydrator or oven
- Chop freshly harvested mushroom fruiting body
- Further grind fruiting body in blender
- Dehydrate over night
- Place in pot and cover with water
- Boil down until there is a thick mushroom slurry
- Place slurry on dehydrator tray (or oven tray)
- Dehydrate 12-24 hrs at 110 degrees F (if using oven – use lowest setting possible)
- Grind down in high speed blender
- If you desire a less fibrous extract, sift further for a finer powder
- Bhattarai G, Lee Y-H, Lee N-H, et al. Fomitoside-K from Fomitopsis nigra Induces Apoptosis of Human Oral Squamous Cell Carcinomas (YD-10B) via Mitochondrial Signaling Pathway. Biol Pharm Bull. 2012;35(10):1711-1719. doi:10.1248/bpb.12-00297.
- Eo SK, Kim YS, Lee CK, Han SS. Antiviral activities of various water and methanol soluble substances isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. J Ethnopharmacol. 1999;68(1-3):129-136. doi:10.1016/S0378-8741(99)00067-7.
- Guggenheim AG, Wright KM, Zwickey HL. Immune Modulation From Five Major Mushrooms: Application to Integrative Oncology. Integr Med. 2014;13(1):32-44.
- Effects of triterpenes on the immune system. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;128(1):1-14. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2009.12.045.
- Ren G, Liu XY, Zhu HK, Yang SZ, Fu CX. Evaluation of cytotoxic activities of some medicinal polypore fungi from China. Fitoterapia. 2006;77(5):408-410. doi:10.1016/j.fitote.2006.05.004
- Wang G, Zhao J, Liu J, Huang Y, Zhong J-J, Tang W. Enhancement of IL-2 and IFN-γ expression and NK cells activity involved in the anti-tumor effect of ganoderic acid Me in vivo. Int Immunopharmacol. 2007;7(6):864-870. doi:10.1016/j.intimp.2007.02.006
- Yoshikawa K, Inoue M, Matsumoto Y, et al. Lanostane Triterpenoids and Triterpene Glycosides from the Fruit Body of Fomitopsis pinicola and Their Inhibitory Activity against COX-1 and COX-2. 2005:69-73.
- Zhu Q, Bang TH, Ohnuki K, Sawai T, Sawai K, Shimizu K. Inhibition of neuraminidase by Ganoderma triterpenoids and implications for neuraminidase inhibitor design. Sci Rep. 2015;5(AUGUST):13194. doi:10.1038/srep13194.
9 thoughts on “Powdered Mushroom Extract”
For the triple extract and powdered extracts are dried (purchased) mushrooms able to be used or do they need to be fresh-picked. Thanks!
Dried purchased mushrooms can absolutely be used!
First of all, thank you for your valuable work.
I’d really prefer this method to double extraction as powders are much easier to produce and store than extractions. But I’d like to know more about how the human body works as a solvent. Can I truly get the same benefits as in alcohol/water extraction?
Also, what about chaga, which constitutes more from the wood material than mycelium which is inside the tree? Does this method work also with chaga? I’ve already tried this and I got very nice powder but just wondering if it works well.
Best wishes to you!
What is the shelf life of this powder? Thank you
If it is kept in a cool dark place, likely good for about 1 year
How much water to mushroom ratio for the boiling process? 🙂
You can just cover the mushrooms with water and boil/simmer (just make sure you have enough water that it doesn’t all boil off). If you are trying to get an exact dosage, the end amount of water is what matters more than the starting amount.
Thank you for this! Any thoughts of this vs dual extract? How do you make a dual extract powder?
Either way is fine, some people prefer no alcohol and I’ve found that the powders are easier to dose more exactly than liquid extracts. A dual extract powder would use alcohol in the initial extraction process before drying